1. It's easy: Compared to other instruments there is almost instant gratification. There are only 4 strings and so it’s much easier to play than a guitar. You don't need any musical background and it's an ideal instrument for busy people to learn because you don't have to practise that much.
2. Its fun: They say that ukulele players are the happiest people in the world! A lot of people think ukuleles are toy guitars. It's hard to take yourself too seriously when you are playing ukulele and it really is a lot of fun.
3. It's social: Playing ukulele is a great way of making new friends. During the summer I was out for a cycle with my ukulele and I met a lovely young french couple who were hitching a lift with a pink ukulele. I stopped and we had fun chatting and jamming at the side of the road.
4. It's affordable: You can buy a ukulele from around 20 euro which is grand for learning on. For less than €100 you can get one that sounds really nice too!
5. It's small & light: It fits in your handbag (or your manbag)so you can take it anywhere. Handy for a quick practise outside the school while you're waiting to collect the kids, to play at work on your lunchbreak, perfect for beach parties, on your bike, no bother in your handbag when you're flying or if you are getting a lift somewhere great to play in the car. Endless possibilities...
So what’s stopping you? Find a class near you or go on you tube. Learn ukulele and amaze your friends and family with your new skills!
I'm looking forward to starting my new beginner's class next week in Clonakilty. I only have a few spaces left so don't delay if you feel a calling as this is my last class for 2017.
What some of my students have said about my classes:
'I loved Claire's classes-she emphasised building your skills one bit at a time but within a 'group' focus-so not about 'getting it right' but playing to enjoy playing with the class. This made it a relaxed & fun way to learn something new. Each week built on the last on so liked that had some songs by the end.' Angela
'Thoroughly enjoyed the class. Learnt a lot of chords & different strums. Had fun!' Lynn Barry
'Really enjoyed the social aspect that went along with learning a new instrument. Small group was great & really supportive' Paul Dooley
'Very relaxed environment for me to learn as a real beginner. Music recordings on dropbox helped me to learn the tune & strum timing.' Brid O'Mahony
'Claire is a brilliant teacher and the pace is perfect and sending the recordings on dropbox is a great way of practising'. June Fairhead